All round effort results in blowout win: 10 Takeaways from Boston Celtics-Charlotte Hornets
1. The Celtics received off to a sluggish begin. The offense took some time to search out their vary, with a number of missed three-pointers early. The protection received off to a equally sluggish begin. The Hornets have been enjoying inside-outside basketball, a lot of it drawn by discovering Kemba Walker matched towards massive males.
Because Boston switches all the things, Walker typically finds himself matched up towards larger gamers. Usually, the Celtics are fairly good about getting Walker scrambled out of those matchups with a second change. Early on towards Charlotte, Boston was simply residing with Walker on bigs. By the top of the primary quarter that modified because the Celtics went again to scramming Walker out of these mismatches. The Hornets struggled to search out simple scoring alternatives from that time ahead.
2. What received the Celtics offense going was a return to good basketball. The ball and gamers have been transferring within the type of side-to-side actions that make them powerful to protect. With Evan Fournier within the fold, Boston now has a number of gamers who can drive and kick to search out open shooters. Here’s Fournier establishing Jaylen Brown within the first quarter. Note the cross from Robert Williams to begin the motion too:
It’s not clear if Kemba Walker knew Brown was open on this play or not, however this aggressive drive opened up one other three-point try:
In the third quarter, it was extra of the identical, however with Marcus Smart discovering Walker:
One different factor to notice: The final two actions occurred early within the clock. Boston has gotten again to pushing the ball up the ground the final two video games. That makes it simpler for them to assault towards a protection earlier than it’s set.
3. Romeo Langford made his long-awaited return to the lineup. Brad Stevens stated Langford will probably be utilized in brief stints for some time, as he will get his conditioning up. Stevens received a little bit inventive with that, as he introduced Langford in late within the first and third quarters and bridged his stints into the second and fourth quarters respectively. That virtually made it like Langford was enjoying 4 two-to-three-minute stretches with the quarter break in-between.
This is absolutely good protection towards a fast guard from Langford. He stays with Devonte Graham off a number of dribble strikes after which contests the shot:
Langford’s first basket of the season was a assured pull-up. This is the form of shot he has to have the ability to make off the dribble to maximise his potential. It was good to see Langford let it fly with none hesitation:
As a rookie, Langford confirmed a flair for help-side shot-blocking. He’s a superb athlete, sturdy and he’s received good timing. Miles Bridges isn’t simple to ship one again on on the rim, however Langford is as much as the problem right here:
4. Langford wasn’t the one Celtic to play good protection. All round, this was certainly one of Boston’s higher efforts of the season. They held the Hornets to only 40% capturing from the sector and solely allowed Charlotte to get off 31 three-point makes an attempt. It’s honest to notice the Hornets have been lacking some key contributors, however that also needs to include the understanding that the Celtics have misplaced to worse groups in worse conditions this season.
5. Kemba Walker has transitioned right into a bit extra of a playmaking function for Boston during the last week or so. He’s had six or extra assists in three straight video games. Many are approaching heads-up performs like this one. Marcus Smart comes up with the strip and Walker finds Jayson Tatum for the runout dunk:
6. The Celtics had 29 assists and simply missed topping the 30-mark for the second straight recreation. Had the fourth quarter not been 12 minutes of rubbish time, they’d have gotten there. Part of what helps is when Jayson Tatum is a keen playmaker. Tatum needs to take the floater right here to beat the buzzer, however as an alternative finds Marcus Smart within the nook for 3:
This is the type of in-sync basketball with motion that Brad Stevens needs. Tatum is in some bother right here late-clock, however Kemba Walker doesn’t simply stand and watch. He makes an on-time lower for the layup:
7. In an effort to be balanced, right here’s a small, however vital factor the Celtics do all too typically. Boston often ball-watches on protection. They assume another person will make the play. Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, and to a lesser extent Robert Williams, all watched this rebound assuming another person would seize it. The end result was an open three for Devonte Graham:
8. It’s a thriller how Boston’s massive man rotation will play out when Tristan Thompson is again. Robert Williams must be in there for 25-Half-hour per evening. Thompson nonetheless has worth together with his rebounding and protection. Will Luke Kornet preserve his newly discovered place within the rotation? Plays like it will solely assist The Green Kornet keep on the ground:
9. Speaking of Robert Williams…these two performs kind of put the sport away. First is Williams doing what he might do finest by blocking a shot no different Celtic might even hope to get to:
Just a few performs later, Williams confirmed off a brand new shot. We’ve seen him hit a number of stationary jumpers. This turnaround within the paint was a brand new one. With his measurement and elevation, this might grow to be a very vital shot in Williams’ stock:
10. No one from Boston performed greater than 28 minutes on this recreation. That’s massive as this one kicked off a three-games-in-four-nights stretch for the Celtics. On Tuesday, the Celtics will play the Philadelphia 76ers. Boston has no reasonable likelihood of catching Philly within the standings, however this could possibly be an vital confidence-building recreation. The first two matchups have been shut, regardless of the Celtics being with out Jayson Tatum.
On Wednesday, within the second half of the house back-to-back, Boston performs the New York Knicks. That one is large within the standings, because the Knicks and Celtics are a part of that group of jammed-together groups from 4-9 within the Eastern Conference. Boston nonetheless has an opportunity at profitable the tiebreaker over New York too, in order that makes these subsequent two video games actually vital.